Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Whew!

It's official. Joe and I are done. After some intensive girlfriend talk over coffee this morning (Thanks Karen - for asking just the right questions!) I was even more confident that I needed to end things with Joe. I tried to bribe Karen into going to see Joe for me, but she wasn't interested in making $1. So I went. . .

What was awkward was that I knew this conversation was coming, but Joe didn't. So as I was getting ready to leave EC, he was texting me about what he should make for supper. He didn't know that I wouldn't be staying for supper. So I ignored the texts. Juvenile? Perhaps. But I had no idea what to do. The entire drive, I practiced how I would get into the conversation. Karen actually gave me the catch-phrase I wanted to use: "This relationship has run its course." So I practiced using it in every scenario I could imagine.

When I got to Joe's house, he was on the phone with computer customer service. So I sat at the table, getting more and more nervous. He was upset that his new computer was delivered with a broken screen - he was having a bad day! And all I could think about was that I was going to make it worse. Ugh. About 15 minutes later, he was finally off the phone but I could tell he needed to decompress. So I did what any kind person would do . . . I listened. I wanted him to process his feelings of computer frustration so they didn't get mixed in with the conversation coming. Finally . . . It was time. I don't remember exactly what I said, but it included things like "I've had a great time getting to know you" "It's not you, it's me" and "This relationship has run it's course" - and then the most amazing thing happened . . . HE AGREED WITH ME! I don't know what I was expecting, but I was terrified this would blindside him. It didn't. He said he had been feeling the same, but didn't have the guts to say anything. (On a side note, this is one of the issues I had with him - I'd like a guy who will occasionally take the lead) He was relieved that I had the guts to say something. The most awkward part of the conversation was trying to figure out how to end it. So I gave him a hug and told him I hoped he found the right person for him. Then I got in my car and did a happy dance as soon as I turned the first corner. SUCH RELIEF!

So now, I'm back playing the dating game. In fact, I have a tentative first date on Friday. . . so yes, more stories to come . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment