Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A New Year

The first blog post of a new year is intimidating. I've decided to start with a change in my blog description. Instead of dating, this year I'm going to focus on health. Physical, psychological and spiritual health.

I don't like how I feel physically. The extra weight I'm carrying makes my joints hurt more than they should. Plus, it has a negative effect on my psyche. I want to be more conscious of putting healthy things in my body more often than not. I want to be more committed to exercising on a regular basis. That may mean changing my definition of "exercise" - which I have always thought of as heart-pounding, sweat-inducing vigorous movement. My joints simply can't handle that. I'm going to focus more on things like yoga and weight training.

As for my psychological health - I'm still struggling with anxiety after my car accident. On one hand, I feel like it's ridiculous and weak that I can't get a handle on it. On the other hand, I recognize that I need some help processing it. So - I've got an appointment scheduled in January to meet with a therapist.

Spiritually, I want to make a conscious effort to be more kind. I want to be more positive instead of getting stuck in a pattern of feeling sorry for myself. I want to remember to be thankful for the many, many blessings I have, and to stop worrying about things beyond my control.

None of these things are resolutions, because I've found resolutions are only ever temporary. These are simply the things I want this blog to focus on over the coming year. Of course, sprinkled in will still be stories of the crazy stuff of life.

I'm excited to see what 2014 brings. I'm hoping that whatever the year brings, I'm able to handle it with grace and humor.

And if the odd first-date comes along, you can rest assured, I'll still blog about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment