Sunday, May 4, 2014

When Everything Works Out

Yesterday, I posted my mobile home for sale on Craig's List and put a "For Sale" sign in the front yard. Two hours later it was sold. WHAT?!?!?

I spent most of Friday getting my house in shape to sell and taking lots of pictures.


Saturday morning the sun was shining for the first time in a week and I was able to get some nice outside pictures.
It took forever to write up an ad for Craigslist. I wanted to be as transparent as possible about the water damage, but also wanted the ad to work! Here's what I came up with:

This 3 bedroom, 2 bath mobile home is a 16 X 80 1982 Blair. The mobile home was appraised at $12-14,000 and I was planning on selling it this summer. Last month, a toilet overflowed in the smaller bathroom, flooding the bathroom and guest bedroom. Servicemaster came out and professionally dried out the 2 affected rooms, pulling up carpet and capping off all the water lines in the bathroom. This professional dry-out cost $1700.

Part of the reason I'm selling this at such a reasonable price is that repairs (estimated at $2000-$3000 for bellypan repair, floor repair and new carpeting) will have to be made. The home is livable (I'm living here now) so repairs could be made over time while it is owner occupied.
This home sits on a corner lot in the Hillcrest Estates mobile home park. There are no neighbors on any adjoining lots, and the neighbors across the street are some of the nicest people I've ever known! Lot rent and taxes are $300 a month and include water and trash/recycling pick up. There is a 1 car garage, which is pretty special since the park no longer allows people to build garages. There is also a large storage shed. The mobile home has central air and a brand new water heater was installed in November.

Sale of this home includes:
1 car garage
Shed
Appliances: Stove, Refrigerator (2 years old!), Washer and Dryer (10 years old, used by just 1 person)
BRAND NEW water heater!
Mulching lawn mower (3 years old, paid $300 for it!)
Patio table & chairs (not shown in pictures because I haven't gotten them out of the shed yet)
Lawn hoses
Yard tools: rakes, gardening equipment
Roof rake
2 large storage cabinets
Window blinds

Other features of this home includes TONS of cabinet space in the kitchen, ceiling fan in the kitchen, step-in shower in the master bathroom, walk in closet in the master bedroom, display shelves in the kitchen, new back door (2 years old), and an open floor plan.

I have secured an apartment and will be moving July 1st. I'm a very motivated seller! Please take a look through the pictures, then give me a call or text (715-XXX-XXXX) or send an email to set up a time to come look at it.

Please note: I will only accept CASH payment. No other forms of payment will be considered.

With about 20 pictures in the ad, I posted it on Craigslist and put a "For Sale" sign in the front yard at 3:30. I took a deep breath. Then, of course I pulled up Facebook on my laptop and started writing a post about finally getting the ad up on CL. In the middle of writing the post, my phone rang. Someone was interested in the trailer and wanted to know if she could come by at 6pm to take a look at it. I told Person A that would be fine. Cool. Someone interested!

About 5 minutes later, I got a text from someone who said they were very interested in the trailer. I texted back that someone was coming to look at it at 6, but I would be home until then if they wanted to stop by. Person B said they would come around 5.

Ten minutes later, a car pulled up in front of the house. It was a woman who said her friend (Person C) had called from Chippewa Falls and wanted her to swing by and take a look. So, I gave an impromptu tour. She loved it, and immediately left to go pick up Person C so she could take a look.

A short while after that, I got a call from Person D, who wanted to come by on Sunday to take a look.

By this point, I was freaking out. I had prayed that my house would sell. I had no idea God would answer my prayers so quickly!

Around 4:45, Person C and her friend got to my house. I gave Person C the tour and she decided on the spot that she wanted the mobile home. No haggling over price, she said she would pay the full asking price. As she was writing a deposit check, Person B and his brother showed up. I told them I had accepted an offer but could give them a tour in case Person C changed her mind. Person B really loved the house and was bummed it had sold.

By 5:30, I had a check in hand, had taken down the "for sale" sign, and removed the ad from Craigslist. I HAD SOLD THE TRAILER!!! I tried getting in touch with Person A to let her know I'd already sold the house, but she didn't answer. So, at 6pm, she pulls up with her husband and (adorable!) son in tow. I told her the trailer had already sold, but I could give her a tour in case both Person B and Person C changed their minds. Person A also really loved the trailer, and was sad it had sold. I was sad I didn't have another home to sell because she and her family were so nice!

After they left, I got a text message from Person B. He wanted me to know that he would be willing to pay $1000 above the asking price if I would reconsider my agreement with Person C. I had to give him credit for being so aggressive, and the money was tempting - but I couldn't go back on my word. I had prayed that my home would be found by someone who really needed it and would benefit from it. Person C is an older, rather frail woman. Her best friend (the woman who originally came to tour the house) lives 2 streets over and Person C is thrilled at the idea of being so close to her. She is the person this home was meant for.

I can't believe I sold this home so quickly. I could probably have gotten more money for it, but the price I set sits well with my conscience. And Person C is aware of the repairs that will need to be done. So I'm feeling really, really good about all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment