Monday, May 12, 2014

Making Magic Happen

I always thought I was a "high maintenance" Starbucks customer. My Grande Skinny Caramel Latte Extra Hot with 3 Sweet-N-Lows always made me feel a bit obnoxious. But now, after just 1 day of training, I'm realizing that's a pretty tame order.

These are the 3 big lessons I learned today (besides learning how to make an Americano, a Cappuccino and a Latte)

1. Behind the counter, there is true magic happening. Granted, it is tightly controlled chaos. There are specifically assigned jobs/stations/responsibilities, and the pace is maniacally hectic - but every partner (that's what we are called - I totally dig it) works with one another. Being in front of the counter (or in the drive-through) as a customer for years, I never realized just how many things had to fall in place for my drink to be perfect every time. I honestly don't think physics or beverage science or people-traffic patterns can fully explain how it all comes together. It is some serious magic making.

2. A gallon of milk is H.E.A.V.Y. And when you lift one again and again and again, heck - that's a workout!! The job is much, much more physical than I had imagined. It's not just standing for a 6 or 8 hour shift - it is constantly moving for that shift. And the space behind the counter is small -  seriously much smaller than it looks. So not only is everyone getting a workout, but everyone is touching everyone All. The. Time. It was disconcerting at first, but after my ass (or arm or boob or hip) got bumped into about a dozen times, I stopped paying attention. I wanted to make a joke that it's the most action I've had in months, but - it was my first day, so I'll save it for another time.

3. I am going to smell like coffee. After work, I stopped at Great Clips to get a haircut. The following is the conversation between my stylist and another stylist: 

My stylist: "Is someone brewing coffee?"
Other stylist: "I don't think so, why do you ask?"
My stylist: "Because I can smell coffee brewing."
Other stylist: "I don't smell anything."


Yep, it was me. I came home, showered, and swear I still have the faint aroma of coffee coming from my pores. Its weird, but there are worse things I could smell like!

Can't wait to learn more tomorrow . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment