Sunday, March 23, 2014

Unexpected

I have been down since my mum & sister headed back to Ohio. It was so great to have them here, but I wasn't prepared for how much I would miss them when they were gone. On top of that, my costochondritis pain has returned (probably because of our warm/cold weather ups and downs) which just adds something else to be down about.

So . . . yesterday I was in the midst of a feeling-sad-and-bummed-out kind of day when I went to get my mail. Along with assorted bills were a couple of packages from Amazon. (I order stuff from Amazon all the time, because Amazon Prime = free 2 day shipping!) Once home, I realized one of the packages was a re-used Amazon box, but the return address was an Eau Claire address. And I didn't recognize it. Intrigued, I opened the box and found this . . .
Years ago, I had a student in one of my classes and "B" and I have stayed in contact and forged a friendship through Facebook. B made and sent me this beautiful afghan "just because" - and her unexpected kindness touched me in a way I cannot begin to describe. I shed some tears because I was so overwhelmed by her gesture.
It is a gift I will treasure, and it inspires me to make a more concerted effort to commit "random acts of kindness." Luna fell in love with the afghan right away,
and we both spent the evening wrapped up in it. It really is amazing how this surprise package lifted my spirits!

I didn't think my day could get better, but then I ordered a pizza and put "please draw a funny face on the box" in the delivery instructions. And I got this . . .
Well done Papa John's!! What started out as a sad-feeling day ended with eating pizza from a funny-faced pizza box and snuggling with Luna under my lovely afghan. Things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment