Tuesday, September 3, 2013

New semester!

There is something magical about the first day of class. I love it. I hate it. Mostly, I hate the severe nerves that hit before I meet a class for the first time. I had 3 classes today, and laughed for real in every one - that's a great start! The only downside was the 12 hour day - ufdah. I taught from 8-9:15am, 12:30 - 1:45 and 5-7:45. It was a long freakin day. But a really good one.

It's funny. I've wanted to be a teacher since I was very young. My grandmother was a much loved 4th grade teacher, and my Aunt Evadne was a much loved Kindergarten teacher. I guess you could say teaching is in my blood. When I started college, I started as an elementary ed major. My first visit to an elementary classroom made me quickly realize I would lose my mind if I had to deal with little tiny people on a regular basis. I changed my major to secondary ed, speech & theater. I loved student teaching at the high school level, but it wasn't as fulfilling as I'd imagined.

When a series of freak events led me to teaching college, I knew I was where I was supposed to be. I love challenging students, and having them challenge me back! There is something that stirs my soul when a student uses critical thinking to solve a problem or present a solution I'd never even considered. I get to meet students when they are just getting settled into the idea of being an adult. There is a mix of bravado and insecurity that I find charming and inspiring. And invigorating. These students make me want to be better a better teacher. A better mentor. A better adult. It really is true that I learn as much from my students as they learn from me. I am so very, very lucky that I get to do this job. It's going to be a challenging, exciting, exhausting, joyful semester. And I'm so glad it's begun!

PS:
In dating news, I went out on a limb and left messages for a couple of guys on PoF. And guess what? A couple messaged me back, so we are playing that back and forth game. One (I'll call him Pay-it-Forward Guy) gave me his phone number, so I'm going to bite the bullet and call him tomorrow night. From his profile, he seems like a kind, down-to-earth guy. I have no idea if he lives with his parents - whoops. Maybe our conversation will turn into a date this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment