Saturday, January 3, 2015

Great Googly-Moogly

Good thing I didn't actually make any New Year resolutions, or I'd feel guilty about forgetting to make a grateful post yesterday. Instead, today I have 2 reasons to be grateful . . . and they are . . .

My love of reading AND my Kindle! Supposedly I was 2 when I could read my first book (Santa Mouse) but my mum is pretty sure I had just memorized the words. In any event, my love of reading emerged early and with startling dedication. My mum tells of numerous times she would be trying to get my attention, but I had my nose so far into a book I didn't listen. I have run into the following (numerous) list of things while reading a book or my Kindle (cell phone reading run-ins are not included in this list!): a door (several), a wall (several), a car, a bike, a dog (several), a cat (several), another person (erm, several), a stop sign, a curb (flat on my face), a parking meter, a lamp post (yes, really), a park bench and a trash can. I still love reading, it is my refuge and my escape. I've sobbed harder reading books (when a certain friend died in the HP series, I cried for almost 2 days) more than any movie or TV show. I've also laughed louder reading them than watching any movie or TV show!

This leads to the next thing I'm grateful for . . . my Kindle! I've had mine for about 3 years, and before I got it, I would never have imagined I would like reading from it. I always swore I needed the feel of the weight of a book and the smell of it's pages. But as I get older, I can't imagine reading without it. Firstly, I'm able to make the font large enough for my old eyes to read! And second - and most importantly - it's easier to hold than a regular book. There are days (in the winter, especially) when the strength needed to hold a book open with my fingers just plain hurts. It's wonderful having the kindle that I can read for hours without my fingers aching.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my latest James Patterson novel . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment