Thursday, April 24, 2014

Coughing

There is this phenomenon known as "tournament hangover," and it is especially a problem when all the national tournaments are finally over. After a 10 hour overnight bus ride, we arrived back in EC at 7am. I then proceeded to sleep 19 of the next 24 hours. Typical tournament hangover response.

But then, the coughing started. And I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed.

Then I attempted to teach my listening class between coughing fits. Then I went to the doc who diagnosed bronchitis. I was put on a Z-pack & prednisone. I requested Tussionex, which is a super-strong cough syrup that is the ONLY thing that quiets my cough so I can sleep. The doc (actually a nurse practitioner) didn't think I needed it, so she told me to try Mucinex. So I did. And guess what happened all night? I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed and I coughed. And got pissed.

So I made ANOTHER appointment in Urgent Care so I could get the dang cough syrup. After waiting an hour and 40 minutes, I had to leave and take Karen and a student to the EC airport so they could head to the last tournament of the year. I raced back across town to Urgent Care and waited another 30 minutes for the doctor to see me. My appointment that was supposed to occur at 11:30 occurred at 2:35. But at least I had a doctor who understood the reason I needed this prescription (it could have been the hysterical crying that occurred in between coughing fits.)

So now, I am finally home, back in pajamas, already coughing less a mere 30 minutes after taking the cough syrup. I have so much grading and paperwork and laundry and housecleaning to do . . . but it's just going to have to wait until I am feeling better . . . Until then, I am in bed with my laptop propped up on a pillow and a kitty under my arm, watching a Law and Order marathon courtesy of Hulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment