Friday, August 23, 2013

Better than a sharp stick in the eye . . .

I had a blister. On my eyeball. On. My. Freakin. EYEBALL. My eyes were itchy all afternoon, so I put a cold pack on them and took a 2 hour nap (sleeping through a storm that took out power) - and when I woke up, my eyes hurt. After looking in the mirror, I freaked out. Twenty minutes before urgent care closed, I raced across town to see the doc. She was pretty sure it was an allergy induced reaction and prescribed an antibiotic and eye drops. The next day, it was worse. Luckily, had an appointment with my rheumatologist, who checked my eye again and recommended a day of "eye rest" - that meant no computer, no TV, no reading. I was to put cold packs on my eyes as often as possible and max out on Benedryl. Besides trying to not lose my mind out of boredom, I had to cancel my date.

You heard me right. I was supposed to be going on a first date but had to cancel because I had a blister ON MY FREAKING EYEBALL!! So where did this guy come from? Well, he's a set-up from a friend. I have never in my 32 years of dating gone out with someone who I met through a friend. Let's call him "Set-up Guy." We chatted Monday and made plans to meet up at music in the park on Thursday. I texted him yesterday, letting him know I had to cancel. He called back and we talked for about an hour. (This is a good sign, usually I find phone conversations awkward) He recommended we meet at a local bar to watch the Packer game tonight instead.

Seriously?? This is like a dream-come-true date for me! The good news is, my eyes are better. The bad news is . . . well, there is no bad news. I'm actually looking forward to this date. Maybe it's because I have forgotten the pain of a first date because it's been so long. Maybe it's because Set-up Guy is so easy to talk to on the phone. Maybe it's because I'll get to watch the Packer game which I wouldn't get to do at home because I don't have cable. But for whatever reason, I think it's going to be a good date. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment